"I've learned that finishing a marathon isn't just an athletic achievement.
It's a state of mind; a state of mind that says anything is possible."


SEPTEMBER 18

Created by OnePlusYou

Monday, April 5, 2010

xray results

So, at the beginning of last week I was at the PT and he mentioned that since my hip had stopped progressing that we should probably do some more diagnostics (e.g. xray and/or MRI). He also wanted to move me over to water based working out.

Friday I worked in the pool for an hour - and felt really good after it! I also had my xray.

Saturday I really felt good so I went over to Dimple Dell and worked in the pool for 90 minutes.

As of this morning, my hip feels better than it did on Thursday. I was feeling pretty smiley and like things were coming along - so I wasn't too worried about what the xray might show.

At the PT today I did my stretches and stuff and then water running for 30 minutes. At the end of my appt Dave and Ben (PT and PT intern) come in to talk to me about the xray. Arthritis. And while there is actually a lot of "good" news in this (e.g. no labral tear, no surgery in my future, treatable, they are still confident that I can get to where to I need to be to complete the marathon) I am finding myself really having a hard time with the diagnosis.

I feel old. I feel frustrated. I feel disappointed. I feel angry. It is the same set of feelings as when I became hypo-thyroid. Ok, it WAS nice to know why I felt so bad and was tired all the time, but it SUCKED to get a life sentence. I think that is the part that I hate the most - this is NEVER going to go away.

Time will pass, this will get better, pool workouts rock, but for today I just need to work on wrapping my head around it.

Thanks for listening. :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jen,
    My name is Burgandy Keel and I found your Biggest Loser Fan page and thought we have very similar stories. I live in Eagle Mountain and have also run a half marathon at 245 lbs. I went to the SLC BL casting and didn't get a call back and have been on pins and needles waiting and hoping to hear something. Then today when I read that you are training to do the Top of Utah marathon I couldn't believe it because I also have that race as a goal of mine. I say we team up. We support and encourage each other and if the BL team dosen't call we know we aren't giving up. I would love to let the press and Biggest Loser see us at the finish line as two strong women who never ever gave up. What do you think? I also wanted to open up the invite to anyone else that wants to train with us. Maybe we could have a monthly long distance training day to all get together. Lastly, where do you box? That is something I have wanted to do for such a long time but didn't know where to go. My email address is burg3g@gmail.com, Burgandy Patterson Keel (facebook). I look forward to hearing from you;)

    Oh and if I don't get a call back from BL I know I'm just not what they are looking for this summer. Maybe they want one legged, men with bad hygiene & over 200lbs to loose. We just can't compete with that;)

    ReplyDelete